M.Z. Naser, PhD, PE
A collection of thoughts/quotes I came across in conversations/conferences or from colleagues/mentors (listed in no particular order).
1. "There is no result in nature without a cause; understand the cause and you will have no need of the experiment."
– Leonardo da Vinci
2. "We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct."
– Neils Bohr
3. "Don't worry about what anybody else is going to do. The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
- Alan Kay
4. "Dealing with failure is easy: Work hard to improve. Success is also easy to handle: You've solved the wrong problem. Work hard to improve."
- Alan Perlis
5. "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
- Sherlock Holmes (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)
6. "An expert is a [person] who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field."
- Niels Bohr
7. "The best writing is rewriting."
- E. B. White
8. "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
- Albert Einstein
9. "Deciding is for machines because it is computational. Choosing is very human."
- Joseph Weizenbaum
10. "Go for the messes — that’s where the action is."
- Steven Weinberg